Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day Seven. Realization.

This may be the last day at the cabins, I don’t know. When we take our laundry into Merrill today, to the fiancé’s house, we may just stay there. I don’t know if I’ll feel too sad to leave the cabins or not, but I don’t think I will. The engagement party is tomorrow anyways, so we’d have to leave them eventually; my little brother went with the fiancé and his friend this morning to get the pig. Yum.

Speaking of this morning…I totally missed it. I had a dream that made me sleep until nearly 1 o’clock (over twelve hour’s sleep then). Wow. I have never been allowed to have a dream run its full course. I tried to type it out today, but an eleven hour dream is too long to mention in this blog, and the circumstances and people and places in it would just be too long and confusing for me to say. But, it was weird; I will just leave it at that.

I sit here with a coffee.

I tried to make coffee today, but it was some weird brand I’ve never seen before in my life, and it was only to be used to make one cup at a time in an individual coffee brewer, so the first pot was entirely too strong. I threw it out. The second pot was too, but my mother salvaged it by adding a lot of boiling water to it while my sisters and I were roasting the last sausages over the fire so they wouldn’t go bad.

But, still, I now sit here with my still a little-too-strong coffee, typing as I can see the late getting patterned with drops of rain all over it. My mellow music suits the mood. I see it fitting that what may be our last day here is filled with rain. Our first day was, and I don’t think you should go swimming on the last day anyway; you should get things together and journal what has happened, and double check, and just relax. In my opinion, anyways.

I still have manga to last me on the way home. And until then, I can occupy my time by watching my Flight of the Conchords and Dexter seasons I brought along. However, I talk about leaving as if we are going soon, but we don’t even leave for three days. It’s not that I can’t wait to go. I can, but I do want to go really soon. I want to be able to use my phone again, I want to be back in my own country, and I want to be with my friends again, and I want away from my family; I want to have fun! Not that there weren’t fun times here, they were simply spread far and few between, and I feel guilty for making my parents spend so much money on us all. Plus I want a shower where I fear no spiders are going to creep up behind me on the wall. There are way too many spiders in the wilderness for my liking.

And, I feel that I should clear something up. Perhaps I sound like a pussy-willow for all my talk. No. I have gone camping many times, I have been in the middle of nowhere many times, and I have spent extended periods of time “unplugged” many times. Many times. It’s not that I’m weak or anything, I simply have become one of those people who like living in the vicinity of many people, who enjoys what chlorine can do to water I am going to swim in and also I do like swimming in a place where I haven’t seen a nasty, ugly pike fish creeping about the day before (that was when I was about 12). I have gotten strep throat from vacationing near a lake before. I have endured meeting people I never wanted to meet, or to ever see again.

My sister has had to be taken to the hospital for a wasp sting, after which we learned she was extremely allergic and then got an Epi-pen. I have been drenched in water or suffered near heat stroke. I have gotten colds, and sore limbs, and endured some of the nastiest places to go to the bathroom, and some of the worst weather and some of the most horrible “time-of-months” there are, all in the sake of vacation, or being out in the wilderness, or for some reason or another.

I am not saying this to complain or garner pity, merely to state my case and explain that, I’m still alive after all this, and with the common sense to be very wary of the outside world. I like to vacation in it with my own terms.

I think we get along best that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment