Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Octogénaire

So, I had my first shift yesterday afternoon.
My mind is blown at how the world works out sometimes.
Lately, I'd been wondering, you know, if God really cares, if I'd been left in a ditch, if my last job turning out the way it did was some kind of punishment.
Well, I don't know about the latter of that sentence, but I'm sure God cares.
(I'll explain in a bit)

So, work went well. I got taken care of right away with a new shirt (too big, they'll have to order one my size) and whether I would prefer King's Buffet or East Sides for the Christmas dinner.

All of my fellow employees are really friendly, from whom I've met so far. All the guys are adorable in their own way.
One of them, for some inexplicable reason, reminds me of Benicio Del Toro, which means he will have a special place in my heart, lol.
Another one went to a high school, surrounded by fields, and not too far from the one I went to. He also has an eyebrow piercing that actually works, and is really friendly and adorable. He's in aisles. I think we might get along.

The break room is fantastic. Tables, large comfy chairs that were returned for having some scrape or another, a computer that can connect to facebook, sketchy lockers, a fridge, microwave, sink and plastic cutlery and tupperware in the cupboards, and a giant flatscreen TV complete with a mini bookshelf full of DVD's and box sets of such classics as Family Guy and the Simpsons.

Of course I made a few mistakes. Last time I worked at a Staples, I worked there for nearly a year, but then I took a huge break in between, so I need to remember things.
As a whole though, I don't think I did too badly.
There was a big mixup with someone's in-store credit deferral. The associate who was helping the lady with her purchase literally went "NOOOOOOO!" when I pressed the enter button to print out her reciept; I thought it was all done.
Apparently it wasn't, and it took fifteen minutes of embarrassment on my part, confusion on the customer's part, and much typing and printing and phone calling on the manager's part.
I apologized profusely, and she said it was okay. It was a simple mistake, and no money was lost. I just have to be more careful
Then again, it was my first shift, sooooo....
I have that immunity ;)

Here's the bit where not being abandoned by the Big Guy above comes in.
I left the building at the end of the night, and walked to the bus stop. Turned out the bus wasn't going to come for about half an hour, and it would have been almost ten o'clock when that happened, which would mean I would have to take an eleven o'clock transfer home or bust. Or call a taxi, but I don't like taxi's late at night.
I walked to the Tim Horton's, bought an extra large coffee to last me the wait, and walked to a different stop. When I got there, I found out another bus I hadn't known of was coming to the stop in two minutes!
I thanked my stars, and when I stepped on that bus grabbed a schedule. It said it was due to arrive at the terminal two minutes before my transfer bus.
I hoped it would arrive there in time. I nearly peed myself in anxiety (although, it could have also been the coffee I suppose), constantly looking at the time. When we neared the terminal, I stood up, ready to pounce out of the bus and run for dear life to catch my bus.

We drive into the terminal...
I'm ready to go....
And the bus...

Drives right into the spot where my transfer bus was supposed to be!
My bus, the 11, turned into the 15 when it got to the terminal!
DEANNA WINS!

I felt a giant wave of relief flood over me. I would be home in ten minutes.

Life is also good because my uncle is awesome. He told me to leave food on the counter if I have an afternoon shift, and he would cook it for me in time when I got home. heart!
He also told me he could pick up anything at the grocery store.
And when I mentioned, well, what does he want for rent, I found out I am getting it at a giant deal. Basically a third of normal rent prices, and I know he wouldn't let me barter to give him more.

Family rules :)

1 comment: